B’nai Mitzvah Timeline
THREE YEARS AHEAD
- Families receive a letter with information about selecting a date.
- Reserve your chosen date with the office and inform the office of your plans for your child’s Jewish Education over the next three years.
- As soon as you have chosen a date, meet with the Senior Synagogue Administrator to discuss your space needs and to reserve the rooms that you wish to use for any aspects of the celebration.
- Click here for more information about how to pick a date.
EIGHTEEN MONTHS AHEAD
- KI educational staff reaches out to family to review the timeline and discuss the appropriate plan for each student, including suggestions for tutors.
- With your family, plan to attend Shabbat morning services regularly.
- Register your child for the b’nai mitzvah seminar. (Click here to see a sample schedule.)
- Plan hotel accommodations for out-of-town guests.
TWELVE MONTHS AHEAD
- Your child begins weekly tutoring.
- You and your child begin participating in the B’nai Mitzvah Seminar (or are prepared to join next year – depending on the date of your bar/bat mitzvah).
- Make plans to purchase tefillin and a tallit (or make one).
- Contact your vendors (caterer, florist, etc) to begin arrangements.
SIX MONTHS AHEAD
- With your family, consider attending morning minyan, so your child can learn to put on tefillin
- Order kippot and benchers.
- Order invitations, including any response cards, maps, directions.
- Finalize your vendor contracts and send copies to the synagogue office.
- Order or make program booklets. (Click here for samples.)
- Make arrangements for meals for out-of-town guests.
THREE MONTHS AHEAD
- B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator will reach out to set up 2 appointments the for student to meet with the rabbi in the months leading up to the simcha.
- Contact the Senior Synagogue Administrator to confirm that all financial obligations are met.
- Plan honors for family and friends.
- Mail invitations, including directions and hotel information.
- Complete catering menus, and plans for decorations.
ONE MONTH AHEAD
- Complete the aliyah/honors form and send to the B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator (downloadable forms on B’nai Mitzvah Center Main Page)
- Contact the office to finalize the set-up of reserved room(s).
- B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator will contact you to set up date for the family to come to a weekday service for the student to receive a gift from the rabbi.
- B’nai MItzvah Coordinator will arrange a date for the rehearsal.